Friday, January 30, 2009

Another Winter Day

Winter Forest, 5" by 7", oil on linen board, January 2009
Private collection, Coconut Grove, Florida

Winter Sunset, 5" by 7", oil on linen board, January 2009
Private collection, Coconut Grove, Florida

I'm quickly gaining a new appreciation of winter. I never realized how normal light gets stepped up to such a high voltage in the snow. These are good exercises in observation. First I carved out another study of the odd grove of trees on the edge of my property in the muted light of the afternoon. The sun started coming out as the afternoon grew dark, and then the sky suddenly lit in a blaze of color. Normally I would run to grab my camera, but instead I started mixing and laying down paint with the linen board in my hand. The heart wrenching colors changed every few seconds, but I managed to capture some version of the technicolor sky.

1 comment:

Silence-Follower said...

I came across your paintings searching blogger. There is something in your pictures I appreciate. I especcialy like all your potteries, but also mini landscapes.
Sometimes I think that art can be compared to fractions - you can extend them or simplify. When you achieve this mastery of simplifying somewhere in life,which seems to be the biggest masterpiece painted by each of us, you feel that you are near there.